Thursday, September 12, 2013

PUTIN'S OpEd — not big news?

Before I went to bed last night, I read Putin's OpEd piece on the front page of the Internet version of the New York Times. I thought it was important, should be taken seriously and read with a clearly critical eye. So I quickly wrote a brief blog, "Putin's OpEd". I wondered how the media would handle it. By this morning, it wasn't big news, not even mentioned in the local paper, The Oakland Tribune. As for the NY Times, it's not referenced on the front page, and is offered in ridiculous, virtually unreadable form on the OpEd page. Smack in the middle, as if in rebuttal or rebuke, is a huge bloody hand, presumably Putin's. It seems Putin has as much chance speaking directly to the American people as Obama has of being heard unfiltered in Russia or Syria.

So, as a public service, I'll make it possible for my small host of blog followers to see it in readable form. Just click on Putin's OpEd at the beginning of last night's blog. Needless to say (sic), this is in no way an endorsement of Putin or his authoritarian regime (a necessary disclaimer, I guess, though not as crude as today's Times). I do agree with the main thrust of Putin's argument for focusing on collective efforts and the UN. You can read and judge. That's more than most of our countrymen will be permitted.


No comments:

Post a Comment